Thursday, August 27, 2009

Communication

The words we use to communicate have power. My goal is to communicate with loving kindness. Yet, being human, I lose my patience, I get grumpy or moody, and I have times when I lash out. I'm not proud of this, but I've learned to accept myself and to keep working toward more conscious communication. Going slow enough to respond rather than react is key. Grownups also need "time-outs." And how powerful would it be if, when I feel short-tempered with my husband, I simply said, "I need a time out." I could take my angry inner child away to settle down before opening my mouth and saying something I will feel sorry for. A few deep breaths or a short walk would probably do it. This feels so much better than a regretful apology to the one I love.

No comments: